The candidate for Certified Audio Engineer or Certified Video Engineer must have five (5) years of suitable experience in audio/video engineering or related technology.
Substitution of broadcast engineering, or education in related technologies, for experience may be made as follows:
- A state registered Professional Engineer’s license will count as four (4) years experience for all levels of certification.
- A Bachelor Degree will count as four (4) years experience.
- An Associate Degree will count as two (2) years experience.
- Years of related accredited education, i.e., military, correspondence, etc. can be substituted, year for year, up to four (4) years.
- Applicant will not receive dual credit for concurrent years of experience and education.
The Certified Audio or Certified Video Engineer Exam: Exams are three hours, consist of 50 multiple-choice questions relating to either audio or video, covering the equivalent of five (5) years experience. Each exam is computer-selected from a pool of questions, and every exam is unique. Each correct answer will be worth two (2) points. The Audio/Video Engineer multiple choice examination will consist of questions on:
- operating practices
- basic electronics