The National Certification Committee suggests the following as references in preparation for the Certified Broadcast Networking Technologist (CBNT) SBE certification examination. This is just a short list of publications suggested as useful references. The exams are not specifically based on these materials. The National Certification Committee will add other references to the list as the Committee reviews new publications.
Titles in blue are linked and available through the SBE Bookstore, which offers a discount to SBE Members. Titles marked with an asterisk (*) are currently out of print; however, this does not mean they are out-of-date or unavailable through some booksellers or libraries.
- Communications Systems and Networks, 3rd edition – by Ray Horak, published by Wiley, 2002, ISBN 0-7645-4899-9
- Dictionary of Networking – by Peter Dyson, published by Sybex, Inc., 1994, ISBN 0-7821-2461-5
- InfoWorld: Understanding the PC Networks – by Raphael Needleman, published by Brady Books, 1990, ISBN 0-139-47474-9 *
- Introduction to Networking, 4th Edition – by Barry Nance, published by Que Education & Training, 1997, ISBN 0-789-71158-3 *
- LAN Wiring, 3rd Edition – by James Trulove, published by McGraw-Hill, 2005, ISBN 0-071-45975-8
- LAN Tutorial: A Complete Introduction to Local Area Networks – by the editors of LAN Magazine, published by Miller Freeman Books, 1996, ISBN 0-879-30379-4 *
- Networking: A Beginner’s Guide, 5th edition – by Bruce Hallberg, published by McGraw-Hill, 2005, ISBN 0-0722-6212-5
- Network + Certification for Dummies, 2nd edition – by Ron Gilster, published by John Wiley and Sons, 2002, ISBN 0-764-51621-3
- Networking for Dummies, 9th edition – by Doug Lowe, published by For Dummies, 2009, ISBN 0-470-53405-2
- Novell’s Guide to Managing Small NetWare Networks – by Kelley J.P. Lindberg, published by Novell Press, 1993, ISBN 0-7821-1238-2 *
- Sams Teach Yourself Networking in 24 Hours, 3rd Edition – by Joe Habraken and Matt Hayden, published by Sams, 2004, ISBN 0-672-32608-6
- SBE Broadcast Engineering Handbook – Jerry Whitaker, CPBE, 8-VSB, and the Society of Broadcast Engineers, published by McGraw-Hill, 2016, ISBN 978-0071826266
- Understanding NetWare – by Stan Schatt, published by H.W. Sams, 1989, ISBN 0-672-27291-1 *
- Using Networks – by Frank Derfler, published by Que Education & Training, 1998, ISBN 0-789-71596-1 *