Want to obtain SBE Certification? Here are all the forms to submit your application.
Operator Level Certifications
Broadcast Networking Certification
Engineering Level Certifications
- Certified Broadcast Technologist (CBT)
- Certified Audio Engineer (CEA)
- Certified Video Engineer (CEV)
- Certified Broadcast Radio Engineer (CBRE)
- Certified Broadcast Television Engineer (CBTE)
- Certified Broadcast Networking Engineer (CBNE)
- Certified Senior Radio Engineer (CSRE)
- Certified Senior Television Engineer (CSTE)
- Certified Professional Broadcast Engineer (CPBE)
- Certified 8-VSB Specialist (8-VSB)
- Certified AM Directional Specialist (AMD)
- Certified ATSC3 Specialist (ATSC3)
- Certified Digital Radio Broadcast Specialist (DRB)
Certification Application Procedures
- Application forms may be obtained from each of the certification classifications descriptions pages accessed through the main Certification Levels page. They may also be obtained from the Certification Director or the local chapter Certification Chairman. The completed form, with proper fee, may be filed with the Certification Director at any time.
- After the Certification Director has determined the application is in order and the prerequisites have been verified, the application will be submitted to the National Certification Committee for action.
- The Committee will review the application to determine the examination level for which the applicant is eligible. Those who are judged eligible will be notified of dates, places and times that examinations will be given. The locations and dates for examinations will be determined by the National Certification Committee. Locations will normally be at a local chapter, college, university, technical school, or other suitable place as designated by the Chairman of the Certification Committee.
If the candidate is unable to take an exam during the normal exam periods, the candidate may choose to have the exam given at another time, based on the availablity of the proctors. Please contact the Certification Director if you need to set up a custom-proctored exam.
If a candidate needs exam adaptations or accommodations because of a disability, if the candidate has emergency medical information to discuss, or if the candidate needs special arrangements in the event the testing building must be evacuated, please include information with the application so appropriate facilities can be provided.
- Because of the diversity of candidates’ experience, the examinations will contain a suitable choice of questions that are computer-selected from a file of several hundred questions relating to AM, FM and/or TV broadcast engineering. (More details on the examination process are discussed in Taking the Test on the Exam Preparation page.)
- The results of the examination will be scored by computer and recorded on the candidate’s application form by the certification director. The senior broadcast engineer, broadcast networking engineer and specialist essay questions will be graded by the National Certification Committee.
- Candidates who qualify for Certification will be notified by the Certification Director, and their names will be printed in The Signal, SBE’s bimonthly newsletter. If the candidate fails the examination, he or she may retake it one additional time at the next scheduled testing period by paying a rescheduling fee. Further attempts require submission of a new certification application.
Decisions may be appealed to the Certification Committee with any additional information the candidate wishes the Committee to consider. A second appeal may be made to the SBE Board of Directors.
- The National Certification Committee will report the activities of the Committee to the Board of Directors at each scheduled meeting.
All details of an applicant’s request for certification will be kept confidential. The Society of Broadcast Engineers will not disclose the names of those who fail.
Non-Member Plus Fee
|CBT – Certified Broadcast Technologist||$59||$144||$234|
|CBNT – Certified Broadcast Networking Technologist||$68||$153||$243|
|CEA – Certified Audio Engineer||$73||$158||$248|
|CEV – Certified Video Engineer||$73||$158||$248|
|CBRE – Certified Broadcast Radio Engineer||$73||$158||$248|
|CBTE – Certified Broadcast Television Engineer||$73||$158||$248|
|CBNE – Certified Broadcast Networking Engineer||$86||$171||$261|
|CSRE – Certified Senior Radio Engineer||$98||$183||$273|
|CSTE – Certified Senior Television Engineer||$98||$183||$273|
|CPBE – Certified Professional Broadcast Engineer||$123||$208||$298|
|8-VSB – 8-VSB Specialist||$68||$153||$243|
|AMD – AM Directional Specialist||$68||$153||$243|
|ATSC3 – ATSC 3 Specialist
|DRB – Digital Radio Broadcast Specialist||$68||$153||$243|
|CTO – Certified Television Operator’s Handbook||$57|
|CRO – Radio Operator’s Certification Handbook||$57|